We don't even know if a book is nonfiction or fiction right now.
That type of book data is expensive to license, and we just licensed a book API provider in April 2022. We will now work to integrate it into the website toward Winter 2022.
My goal is to add genre pages, add it to search, and add filters for readers to hone in on the type of book they are looking for. I will have more info on that soon, and you can see our feature roadmap here: https://forauthors.shepherd.com/roadmap
How does search work right now?
Our goal is to help readers find a place to browse and meet amazing books and authors. To that end, search currently connects them to Bookshelves and Book Lists using:
- Wikipedia Topic - Type in a Wikipedia topic like World War 2, Grief, Dragons, or so on to get bookshelves and book lists that might interest you.
- Favorite Author - Type in one of your favorite authors to get recommended bookshelves and book lists you might like. We only have authors in Shepherd recommended by other authors, so we might not have your favorite author yet.
- As of Sep 13th, 2022, we have ~29,000 authors in our system.
- Favorite Book - Type in one of your favorite books to get recommended bookshelves and book lists you might like. We only have books in Shepherd recommended by other authors, so we might not have your favorite book yet.
- As of Sep 13th, 2022, we have ~31,000 books in our system.
We will add genre as we integrate that data in 2022.
P.S. do you want to help us build features like this faster?
I launched a membership program for founding members at the urging of authors and readers. 100% of the money goes toward developing new features and my goal of hiring a full-time developer in 2023 (currently, we only have one part-time developer).